Monday, January 21, 2013

Curry Chicken Salad


While shopping at Earth Fare the other day, I noticed a curry chicken salad in the deli case and couldn’t help but try it.  It was so good that I instantly knew I had to try to recreate it at home!  This is my version of what I had there.  The Earth Fare version had agave and raisins in it as well, but I chose not to add those and liked it just as much!  I ate it for lunch today mixed with broccoli slaw, which was a crunchy and delicious combination! 


Curry Chicken Salad

2.5-3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, baked (I used 1 bag of trader joe’s frozen chicken breasts, sprinkled with curry powder and baked at 400 degrees for 40 min.) and chopped into small pieces
4 stalks celery, diced
6 green onions, diced
1 large or 2 small granny smith apples, diced
½ c raw cashews, chopped
1 recipe olive oil mayonnaise (see below) + 3 T curry powder, 1 tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp garlic powder (mix the spices into the mayonnaise while it is still in the food processor)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp coarse salt

Combine chopped chicken, diced celery, diced green onion, diced apple, cashews, mayonnaise, pepper, and salt.  Stir until everything is mixed together. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.  Makes 4 large or 6-8 small servings. 

Olive oil mayonnaise
2 eggs at room temperature
2 T lemon juice
½ tsp mustard powder
¾ c extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp salt

In food processor, blend eggs, olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard powder until frothy (about 30 seconds).  Continue to blend the mixture as you slowly drip the olive oil in, drop by drop (through the drip hole in the top of the food processor), until you’ve added about ¼ c.  Continue blending and pour the rest of the olive oil into the container on the top of the food processor which will slowly let it drip into the mayonnaise.  Blend until the mayonnaise thickens a bit.  It won’t be the consistency of jarred mayonnaise but it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. 

*Update 6/23/13: I have been using a slightly different recipe and technique lately to make my mayonnaise.  I have found that the fresh lemon juice and light olive oil are key to making the mayonnaise thick and creamy.  Below is the recipe I am currently using:

1 egg at room temperature
1 1/2 T FRESH lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
1/2 c LIGHT olive oil
1/4 tsp salt 

Blend egg, lemon juice, mustard powder with IMMERSION BLENDER until frothy.  Then slowly, drop by drop, add the olive oil as you continue to blend.  Add oil slowly until it is all added, blending the whole time.  Continue to blend after you've added all of the oil until the mayonnaise has thickened, coating the head of the immersion blender.  

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!! I'll have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did turn out really good! I think I hardly left any for Rem... I ate it for lunch every day this week! You'll have to let me know if you try any variations on it and how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete